Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mental Health of Service Personnel and Vets

I just read a report that a new study estimates that some 300,000 U.S. troops are suffering from major depression or post-traumatic stress from serving in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and 320,000 received brain injuries.

I hope that recreational therapists realize the extent of mental health problems and head injuries that have occurred among service men and women and jump forward to assist these brave military personnel. Certainly, RTs in the VA Hospital system should help lead the way in developing specific therapeutic services for these populations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home