Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Using Hand-Held Computer Technology

I just read a research article on the use of hand-held computers called personal degital assistants (PSAs). Stanford University researchers used the PSAs to successfully promote the physical activity of middle age and older adults.

The participants received beeps on their PSAs in the morning and again in the evening. The PSAs would help them to set activity goals, track their activities, and gain feedback on how well they were doing in achieving their goals.

As I read the article, I wondered if any RTs or RT researchers had used PSAs with participants. Please comment if you have any knowledge of the use of PSAs in RT.

The article appeared in the February, 2008, issue of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine. The lead author is Abby C. King and the article title is Promoting Physical Activity Through Hand-Held Computer Technology.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home