Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Thursday, October 04, 2007

A Shift for RTs and QOL Enhancement

The acceptance by society and RTs of clients in "impaired roles," rather than "sick roles," in my opinion is coming slowly. Yet, helping clients to deal with chronic illnesses (i.e., in impaired roles)is an area in which RTs should take the lead.

Schirm (2002) has written: “The increased number of Americans who are living with chronic disabling conditions has shifted the emphasis from a health care system focused solely on cure and length and quantity of life to enhancement of the quality of life.” (p.181)

I think Schirm has it exactly right. RTs should be leading the shift in health care toward the enhancement of the quality of life.

If you want to read more from Schirm, the reference is: Schirm, V. (2002). Quality of life. In I.M. Lubkin, & P.D. Larsen. Chronic illness: Impact and interventions (5th edition). Boston: Jones and Bartlett Publishers, pp.181-201.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home