Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

New Aerobic Activity Recommendations

New recommendations for physical activity appeared in a story in today's Indianapolis Star. Here is what was published:

"Updated national recommendations for physical activity say all healthy adults ages 18 to 65 should get moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity for at least 30 minutes five days a week or vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity for at least 20 minutes three days weekly."

Some medical groups are also recommending strength training for at least two, nonconsecutive days per week.

I hope that RT professors and practitioners are paying attention to such recommendations so that clients will be told of the need for physical activity and that RT physical activity programs are provided. Of course, to provide physical activity programs RTs need to be trained to lead such programs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home