Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Leadership for Grad Curriculum Reform Needed

This is a follow-up to my recent post in which I called for universities with Ph.D. programs to take the leadership for the reform of graduate education in RT.

On Wednesday, December 20, 2006, I made a related post. It read:

"I wonder if other faculty will come forward to show leadership for creating curriculum standards for graduate programs? Both the master's and doctorate programs need attention. Our sister discipline of occupational therapy is moving to a master's degree as an entry-level degree. Physical Therapy has moved to a practice doctorate. Speech and hearing has also gone to a practice doctorate. It seems time for recreational therapy to join its sister professions in giving more attention to graduate preparation. Who is willing to come forward to lead the charge?"

It seems to me that RT faculty at universities with Ph.D. programs would be the natural leaders to drive RT graduate curriculum reform. How about it Ph.D. faculty?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home