Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

RT Pirate's M.S. Idea Worth Considering

In response to my post regarding the need for curriculum reform, the RT Pirate suggested that RT should move toward requiring a master's degree as the entry-level credential. This is something to think about. With PTs and speech and hearing moving to a doctorate as their practice degrees, it may be time to consider requiring a master's degree to do RT.

Perhaps it is too early at this time to establish the master's as the entry-level degree but it is not too early for universities preparing RT students with master's degrees to come together to establish curriculum guideliens for the degree.

3 Comments:

Blogger vicki said...

I, for one, think that is definitely an idea to consider - maybe we would have more people going into the profession that really want to be recreational therapists instead of a springboard for OT and PT. Also since it seems that most RT Departments are smaller than they used to be, I think that it makes sense to have someone with more skills so that they can hold their own without a mentor in the same department. Just my two cents after 30+ years in the profession

7:37 PM  
Blogger luvwhatido said...

I agree with Vicki. It concerns me when I hear of students getting an undergraduate degree in RT and then getting a masters in something else. As a part of this profession, I want colleagues who have the desire to be RT's and this might be a great way to strengthen our profession. As a bachelors level therapist for 7 years now, I am preparing to pursue a masters so I can increase my skill levels and gain more knowledge that will help me contine to pursue excellence in work with my clients.

8:00 AM  
Blogger cindy said...

Oh Oh! Getting a masters in PT/OT with a bachelors in RT is hard work.

They would be much better off to have started in PT/OT. That is a mistake. I doubt it is a springboard. More like a derailment.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home