Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Books Related to the APIE Process

Below is a post I made on the ATRAnet following a request for information on textbooks that cover the APIE Process: I would like to think my Therapeutic Recreation Processes and Techniques (2009, Sagamore Publishing) does an excellent job of covering the APIE Process. The book is widely used and is now in its 6th edition. Instructors who use the book have found the Instructor’s Guide (provided by Sagamore Publishing) for Therapeutic Recreation Processes and Techniques to be helpful in suggesting student learning activities, classroom exercises, possible videos, and multiple-choice test items to assess if students are gaining concepts such as the APIE Process. My newest book, Lessons Learned: An Open Letter to Recreational Therapy Students and Practitioners (2011, Sagamore Publishing) provides a possible companion book for the Therapeutic Recreation Processes and Techniques book. Lessons Learned is relatively short and moderately priced (less than $20). It contains s brief chapters (1 to 5 pages in length) on a number of topics, including those directly related to the APIE Process – such as “What Makes RT Therapeutic?” “Recreational Therapy is Customized Care,” “Recreational Therapists Use a Strength-Based Approach,” “Recreation and Leisure Activities Provide Fun with a Purpose,” and “Recreational Therapy is Action Oriented, but the Emphasis is on the Client and Not the Activity.” Faculty who have used Lessons Learned in their courses have reported being extremely will pleased by student reactions to the book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home