Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Research Supports Physical Activity for Adults

Two recent research studies point to the importance of RTs providing adults with physical activity programs.

An Australian study (Dwyer, et al, 2010) found that walking not only wards off weight gain in middle age but also helps prevent or delay diabetes.

In another research study (Kenny, et al, 2010) it was discovered that exercise should be a part of all interventions to prevent falls along older adults. The report recommended programs such as tai chi that build strength, gait, and balance.

The Dwyer article appeared in 341:c7249 of BMJ. The Kenny article appeared in J Am Geriatr Soc in 2010.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home