Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Monday, February 04, 2008

Self-Massage: A Good Relaxation Technique

While working on the 6th edition of my book, Therapeutic Recreation Processes and Techniques, I rediscovered three books on self-massage -- a relaxation technique that I think RTs should be using with their clients.

I had mentioned Mary Atkinson's A Practical Guide to Self-Massage in an earlier post some time ago. The book was published in London by Cico Books in 2005 and offers 50 self-massage movements. Two other books have good sections on self-massage, complete with many self-massage techniques that RTs can teach clients. These are Voner's (2005)Massage: Everything You Need to Relax, Rejuvenate, and Relieve Stress. The other is Stuart's (2006)The Illustrated Guide to Massage and Aromatherapy.

A common therapeutic benefit from RT is helping people deal with stress and find means to relaxation. If you haven't tried out self-message with your clients, now may be a good time because it offers great potential.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joseph Rossignol said...

Thanks to share this post.massage & relaxation is a very good product.

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home