Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Friday, October 14, 2011

Ready, set, mentor

According to the October, 2011, issue of the APA Monitor, for the third year its popular speed-mentoring program was a success at the APA Conference.

Mentors are positioned throughout a room and they meet for 12 minutes with small groups of early career psychologists and graduate students. The mentors discuss the biggest challenges they faced in their careers and how they met these challenges. Also, they address mentees’ questions. At a signal each 12 minutes mentees rotate to the next mentor.

I’ve seen a similar (“speed dating”) technique used where practitioners met with researchers to discuss the practitioners ideas for research and to discover common interests.

Perhaps such “speed dating” formats could be employed at RT conferences. I think RTs would have fun with it and it could pay off in mentoring programs and in gaining ideas (and possible collaboration) for field based research.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home