Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Interviewing Tips

I just saw 5 interviewing tips from Debbie Shalon via Careerbuilders.com which I thought might be useful to RTs and RT students. I've translated them from business terms to RT terms. Here are the 5 tips:

1. Research the agency. Know as much aboutg the agency as you can find out. Certainly visiting the agency's website is a must. If you are a student preparing to interview for a job or internship, talk to faculty who may have knowledge about the agency and the RTs at the agency.

2. Thoroughly aquaint yourself with the job description. Even if you are a student looking for an internship, you should find out what key skills are emphasized in the job description.

3. Be prepared for various types of interviews. Telephone interviews and face-to-face interviews are the most common. Jot down questions for the interviewer and have them by the phone for the telephone interview so you are prepared when the interviewer asks if you have any questions. You should also role play both telephone and face-to-face interviews.

4. Be passionate. Show you care about the position and becoming a part of the agency. You should be able to tell agency personnel that you've researched available positions or internships and believe their agency is the best place for you.

5. End strongly. In ending the interview, quickly summarize how you will meet the agency's needs. Express sincere interest in the position. Ask what the next step is. Finally, thank the interviewer for his or her time and ask for a business card.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the tips!! I know I'll keep them in mind for my next interview for a job! Especially considering that I'm a fresh graduate and looking! ;)

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home