Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I became a Professor Emeritus after serving 29 years as a recreational therapy faculty member at Indiana University. I'm a long-time Hoosier, having grown up in Hanover, Indiana. My RT practitioner work was in psych/mental health. After completing my Ph.D. at the University of Illinois, my first faculty position was at the University of North Texas. RT has been a wonderful profession for me as I have had the opportunity to serve as an author and national leader.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Physical Training for Persons with Mental Illness

While suffering from a small sample size and high drop out rate, a study published in the Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal suggests physical training programs may produce positive effects for persons with serious mental illnesses. Participants in the study did lose weight and showed improvement on other physiological measures(although the findings were not statistically significant). Participants did report that the program contributed to their perceived sense of well-being.

The full citation for the study is: Skrinar, G. S., Huxley, N. A., Hutchinson, D. S., Menninger, E., & Glew, P. (2005). The role of a fitness intervention on people with serious psychiatric disabilities. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal, 29(2), 122-127.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home